Saturday, February 14, 2009

Quando in Firenze!




I've discovered this store where a man and his daughter hand make every kind of mask you can possibly imagine! Picture this- I walked in this tiny whole in the wall store off a side street in Florence where the walls are literally disguised with the most striking, beautiful masks and puppets you've ever seen. In fact, I've never seen anything like it. And I suspect you haven't either as you're probably wondering what in the world could be so cool about a mask store. Well, let me tell you- apparently, "Carnivale" is a huge celebration here in Florence and most notably in Venice where people wear masks and celebrate their culture. Not to mention that in the capital of the world of art, each mask is just that- a brilliant work of art. We talked to the owner/artist in broken english and he told us that he and his daughter had been doing this for nearly twenty years. His masks have appeared in over 100 differnet exhibits and contest and have been used for nuemerous theater productions, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, just to name a few. I walked in the store and immediately fell in love with the mask in the picture. I would have taken it home with me right then and there...if only it weren't 50 Euro (about 68 US dollars)! So I took a million pictures instead. Although, there is certainly still a huge chance that I might not leave Italy without it.

This afternoon I played soccer with about 11 other people at a park overlooking the Arno River in Florence and had possibly the most fun I've had the entire time I've been here! I played in high school and it was okay but I played well and we won and it was awesome! More importantly, I just forgot how many good things come from a friendly, but competitive, game outdoors. My first instinct is definitely to go shopping or go into the city to get gelato or something, but I went on a whim and I can't wait to do it again! Tomorrow!

Another highlight...I've gotten to SKYPE with my mom's best first grade class in the world!! I enjoy so much answering thier questions and telling them all about the things I am seeing and the places I am experiencing while I am here. I hope that it inspires them to see the world & learn for themselves more about the diffent cultures and thier histories. Most importantly, that they will be able to see how the many pieces have fit together to impact who they are today. We study history everyday. Not only do I know the pieces of art and where they came from, but now I know why they were made and have seen them first hand. Why did Michellangelo paint the sistene chapel? Because he was forced to by the Roman Catholic Pope who ruled the world! A concept we can barely understand in itself, in an age where we are blessed to live under a democratic government with rule of the people by the people. Or allegedly so. By the way, I saw visited the Santa Croce where he is buried two days ago. It's unbelievable. History has never been more alive. This is what I hope the beautiful children of Hendron Lone Oak Elementary are getting a glimpse of through thier correspondance with me during my time here! Little do they know, they have a surprise on the way!!!

1 comment:

  1. Are you going to Venice? Carnevale is such a wonderful thing! I reccomend to find more of the enchanting masks, you head north to the heart of the Carnevale celebration. Enjoy your stay in Italy, and please, keep posting! Where all are you going on your study?

    ReplyDelete